Our New Blog

Our New Blog
...............Two Chicks On A Farm......Our New Blog

Friday, September 9, 2011

He who does not economize will have to agonize. ~Confucius

Cannot people realize how large an income is thrift?  ~Cicero
Hi, ya'll.  I know that I have been neglecting you but I have been absolutely obsessed with couponing!  There have been so many good deals out there on stuff we use that I have been a coupon clipping maniac!  If I am obsessed with couponing and saving money, Becky is possessed and she is really good at putting the deals together.  The two sites we visit daily are Money Saving Queen (Tulsa area) and Krazy Coupon Lady.

Our stockpile is growing larger every week! Last Sunday, Becky and I went coupon shopping together at Homeland and here are the pics to prove it:
Nutella for 99 cents a jar.

Walgreens Herbal Essence Shampoo & Condition  two for $6. - $1 off 1 = 2 for $5 up front cost.  Received $2 in RR.  So  $5 - $2RR = $3 or $1.50 each.

Simply Orange Juice for .99 cents.

Diced tomatoes on sale for 2 for .99.Free with .75 coupon (which doubled). Homeland does not apply overage to your overall purchase.

Kellogg's cereal cost $1.44 each.
When we got  home and unloaded the car, Becky looked around at the sea of shopping bags piled in the kitchen floor and said  "holy crap" (now, Becky don't cuss so this was quite shocking coming from her).  Bottom line here:  Bought $209.71 worth of groceries for $90.04. Saved $119. 67 buying sale items and using coupons. 

Becky's "Deal of the Day #1:  2 cans of diced tomatoes and 1 box of pasta= $1.01 (includes tax) saved 78% with 1 coupon.

Becky's Deal of the Day #2:  1 loaf of Iron Kids bread, 1 jar of nutella, 1 box of wheat thins and 2 cans of diced tomatoes=  $2.63  5 coupons used and this total includes tax.  82% saved. Go Becky!
My "Deal of the Day" was at Walgreens.  One (package of three) Therma Care back pain patches on sale for $5.99.  One bottle of 100 count Advil pain reliever on sale for $7.99 = $13.98  Then the fun begins.  Becky found me a $5 off coupon when you buy these two items which equals $8.99 up front cost.  But watch this:  I received a Register Reward for $5 (I used this to buy my 2 "eggies") bringing the cost down again to equal $3.98 or $1.99 each.  This sale ends Saturday at the close of business.
Also, after seeing the commercials on T.V. for the "eggies" no peel boiled egg cooker, I just had to have one.  No matter what technique I use, I just can't get my eggs to peel pretty.  Now, there is no coupon for this item so I have to be creative.  Last weekend at Walgreen's, we were given $16.50 in Register Reward's (same as cash with a few restrictions.  can't use the RR to buy same item again).  Hmmm......how can I work this to get my eggies?  I also was given rain checks for my Mayo and Sugar.  Hmmmm..........how can I make this work for me.  Yesterday, I went to Walgreen's and got two -30 ounce jars of Mayo, two -4lb bags of sugar, 3 cans tomato sauce and two "eggies" ($9.99 each).  One for me and one for sister-in-law's (Vicky) birthday.  Using my coupons and RR my final total was $17.50 which included the tax.  I could have saved more using fillers if I had remembered Walgreen's Golden Rule--can't have more coupons than items.  I had nine items and eleven coupons and RR.  Anyway, here is my review of the "eggies".

The little suckers are each 4 pieces.  Then you have to grease the pieces with a paper towel.  By then my hands had grease on them and I couldn't hold on  to the little pieces.  Then you have to try to hit the hole in the top with the egg (next time I will break them into a cup with a spout and then pour them into the eggie). And then if you don't get them screwed together correctly, they will leak into the water. 

In spite of dropping one eggie in the floor, 5 on the countertop, one eggie leaking out into the water and using a pan that was too small,  I still love my "eggies".  A little more practice and things will go much smoother.

Oh! Oh! Forgot to tell you.  We stopped at Denny's to eat and when we paid the ticket the cashier told me if I would take a short survey on-line and sign up for Denny's Rewards I would be given a free Grand Slam Breakfast on my next trip.  So I did.  Wrote a code on my receipt for my freebie. Then an e-mail arrived with a coupon for 20% off the entire ticket on a visit.  The savings just seem to find us now.  Becky went shopping at J.C. Penney's for my birthday present (she's tired of seeing me wear jammies with the arms and neckline cut out because I've been roasting in the Oklahoma summer heat).  She saved  $115.71 shopping the sale items (which just happened to be what I asked for) and then took an on line survey using a code on her receipt and received a coupon for 15% off an all day shopping pass.  I like saving money.  Don't you?  Then savings are all around us if we will just look!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...