Our New Blog

Our New Blog
...............Two Chicks On A Farm......Our New Blog

Saturday, July 16, 2011

What dreadful hot weather we have! It keeps me in a continual state of inelegance. ~Jane Austen

Well, well, well!  I asked for rain and I got it (if you can call 3/8 inch a rain).  Then it was back to humid and hot. What I did not ask for was the electric to go out for two hours.  I promised that I would not whine so we will call this "just stating the facts". 

The power went out about 9:30 p.m. last night.  We are at the end of the line (where else would we be, huh?) so I felt compelled to call the electric company and let them know I'm in the dark with no fans or air conditioner (we talked about this yesterday).  She asked me if there was an emergency situation (if I have no cool air or fans and I am a middle age woman, yeah, I'd say that is an emergency. no, that is a crisis of monumental proportions. they would probably say no it's not).  Then she told me to check my breaker box (under normal circumstances, this would be a logical request).  So I kindly reply "Honey, unless my breaker box controls the whole neighborhood, I don't think that's the problem."  We both had a good laugh before she patiently took my address and other information needed to get me some cool air.

This is a new day and new frontiers to conquer.  I tried a new recipe from my favorite cookbook, Taste of Home, 356 Guilt Free Recipes.  This is definitely a quick and easy  recipe that I would make again and again.  It is a great snack or fast light breakfast (well, light for me.  146 calories per muffin).
Prep: 15 min.  Bake:  15 min.  Yield: 1 dozen

Ham 'n' Cheese Muffins
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups (8 oz.) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
1 and 1/2 cups reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
1/2 cup fat-free mild
1 egg, beaten
1 cup finely chopped fully cooked ham
  1. In a nonstick skillet, saute the onion in butter until tender;  set aside.  In a bowl, combine the cheese and biscuit mix.  Stir in the milk and egg just until moistened.  Fold in the ham and onion.
  2. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners;  fill three-fourths full with batter.  Bake at 425 degrees for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.  Serve warm.
Now, going back to my sister killing a rattlesnake with a garden hoe (that still freaks me out).  Here is the proof of what happens when you mess with my sis and her flower gardens.
In this battle of biblical proportions; Eve (sister Joyce) won.
The serpent (rattlesnake) lost.
As I've told you many times, I live in my own personal  menopausal hell.  I'm always looking for ways to stay cool.  Trying to sleep at night is almost impossible because of the hot flashes.  I stumbled upon this website that offers some interesting ideas that I am going to try tonight.  I also found something called a Bedfan at http://www.bedfan.com/.  but first here are some cool ideas for folks like me.

  • 1
    A suspension-type bed lets cooling air reach you and even flow through from underneath. Try a hammock or a cot, also known as a camp bed. A cot, supported on all sides, stands free, won't tip, and sags less than a hammock.


  • 2
    Consider using the "Egyptian Method": wet a sheet or bath towel that is large enough to cover you with cool or cold water, and wring it or run it through the spin cycle on a washing machine until the sheet is quite damp but not dripping wet. You can also use a spray bottle of water to spray the top sheet until it is damp but not soaking. Place the dry towel or sheet on your bed underneath your body and use the wet sheet as your blanket. The damp blanket will keep you cool and if you add a fan at the foot of your bed the cooling effect is even greater. Or, during an extreme heat wave, take a light t-shirt, wet it, wring it out and wear it. Evaporation from the shirt will help to keep you cool enough to sleep for a few hours. This is a very simple and environment friendly method of staying cool.


  • 3
    Buy a straw or bamboo mat. These don't retain body heat and are cool all night long. They are found cheap at Chinatown or any Asian supermarket near you.


  • 4
    Take a pair of cotton socks, rinse them in cold water, wring them until they are damp and put them on. Cooling your feet lowers the overall temperature of your skin and body.


  • 5
    Try buckwheat pillows or futons. These don't retain body heat and feel cool all night long.


  • 6
    Get a few blocks of "blue ice," normally sold in supermarkets. This is a rectangular plastic block containing a non-toxic chemical that freezes at lower temperatures than ice, and stays cold longer. If possible, get the larger blocks. Freeze them in the freezer during the day and take them to bed with you at night. They don't get damp when they melt -- the chemical stays inside. Put each block inside a sock or something, so it won't feel so cold, and it will melt more slowly. If you feel warm, put a hand or foot on a block, or curl up next to a few. You'll soon feel cooler.

    • Or, just chill or freeze a plastic bottle of water.

  • 7
    Dampen a hand towel and lie in bed with it on your forehead. Turn it over and dampen again when needed.


  • 8
    Bring a soft ice pack to bed You can buy "sinus packs" or "thermal sleeves" in most grocery stores. These are much softer than the blue ice compresses and don't get quite as cold (the blue gel ones can give you ice-burn). Slip a cold sinus pack under your neck or a cold thermal sleeve over your arm. Cooling down the back of your neck helps cool the rest of your body down as well.


  • 9
    Chill your pillowcase. Put your sheets,blanket,and pillowcases into freezer bags and put in the freezer all day. This may also help you fall asleep faster, further reducing your exposure to the uncomfortable heat.


  • 10
    Make a Rice Sock. When you turn in, bring the bag with you to use as a cool compress. Try placing it under your pillow so it's nice and cool when you flip it over. You can also place it within the pillow cover or inside your pillow if it has a zippered opening.
    and place it in the freezer and leave it there for at least two hours


  • 11
    Make a Cold pack. Place some GREEN dish soap in a sealable bag style container. Only fill approximately 1/4 of the bag space with soap,(the green tends to work much better) and place it in the freezer. The soap doesn't harden but holds the cold temperature longer than ice and/or the blue ice containers. Once you are ready to use, place in a pillow case or fold in a towel. This allows several options for placement. Because the pack is not solid, it allows for versatility and comfort. This can also be used as an "Ice Pack" for muscle aches and pains. This is a much cheaper option to the store bought "Soft Packs" and works in the same way.

  • I am going to try every one of these tonight that I possibly can.  Me naked under a damp sheet with a fan blowing may not be pretty but if it keeps me cool and lets me sleep, who gives a care.  Will report back to you as soon as possible. 

    Until then remember:
    Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain. 
    ~Author Unknown

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...