Our New Blog

Our New Blog
...............Two Chicks On A Farm......Our New Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Harmony Acres In Bloom

Ann Morrow Lindbergh (Gift from the Sea)
I have learned by some experience, by many examples, and by the writings of countless others before me, also occupied in the search, that certain environments, certain modes of life, certain rules of conduct are more conducive to inner and outer harmony than others. There are, in fact, certain roads that one may follow. Simplification of life is one of them.

As if by magic, Mother Nature released her personal color palette upon Harmony Acres, our home.  Each day brings forth surprises unsurpassed by anything the human hand can create.  It is with great joy and anticipation  that I step outside each day to see what awaits me as daylight breaks.  This is what I see:



After a lot of hard work, my rock garden is now ready for a new gazing ball and colorful annuals to be added.

We wanted to plant peach trees this year, so my friend John suggested we plant Red Haven.  I purchased the new trees at Lowe's because they have a one year replacement guarantee.  Now when a friend who happens to own an orchard, gives me advice, I am certainly smart enough to take it!  So, Red Haven it is. Becky also wants to plant blueberry bushes and cherry trees.  Will have to check with John to see how cherry trees do in our area.

Even the birds awake with a song in their heart and a cautious eye on the cats.  Cats seem to have a real problem understanding the 'do no harm" philosophy we have here.  
Pushka hates the "do no harm" rule.  She thinks I won't miss a couple of birds.
On Monday my brother David and his wife Vicky helped me put up a new fence for the puppies. I would have blogged about it yesterday but I couldn't move any part of my body without discomfort (translation:  I hurt from head to toe).  The puppies are so excited to have so much room to run and play.  

I really appreciated their help even more because I know David was in a great deal of pain with his knees (waiting for a knee replacement) and ankles (bone spurs). But they kept their sense of humor. Vicky kept me laughing as she declared over and over again to her husband "you knew when you married me I wasn't a country girl." and I finally told David, "just because I am the one driving most of the poles into the ground doesn't mean we need one placed every two feet." He was enjoying my pain a little too much.  You know how big brothers are.
If you look closely, in the background by the trees you will see a blue tarp.  It is attached to the greenhouse frame which the high winds sent belly up.  Someone (David) took a couple of the stakes out of it when we were building fence on Monday.  There is no sadder site that a greenhouse belly up in the wild rose bushes and timber.  Especially if your the one that has to fight the thorns to retrieve it! 
I have found there is nothing more satisfying at the end of the day than to feel physically exhausted from doing the things that bring joy to my heart, a new song for my soul to sing and pure bliss and harmony to my tattered state of mind.  Simplicity really is a gift!  The Secret:  Do the things that bring you joy and true happiness will follow.  It comes from within not from having the most "toys".

 John Burroughs
To find the universal elements enough; to find the air and the water exhilarating; to be refreshed by a morning walk or an evening saunter ... to be thrilled by the stars at night; to be elated over a bird's nest or a wildflower in spring—these are some of the rewards of the simple life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...