Our New Blog

Our New Blog
...............Two Chicks On A Farm......Our New Blog

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Seeds.....Miracle In A Package

Now seeds are just dimes to the man in the store
And the dimes are the things that he needs,
And I've been to buy them in seasons before
But have thought of them merely as seeds;
But it flashed through my mind as I took them this time,
"You purchased a miracle here for a dime."

-   Edgar A. Guest,
 A Package of Seedshttp://www.gardendigest.com/seeds.htm

I've taken another eager step toward Spring!  I bought my seeds!  They cost a little more than a dime (not much for most) but who can put a price tag on a miracle in a package.  It was so exciting trying to choose which ones to buy when there were so many.  My garden is becoming a reality!  Rejoice, rejoice, rejoice.
This morning the sunlight streaming in through the windows and doors beckons to me.  As I step outside, the birds are singing the unmistakable songs of Spring.  The bees entice me to begin my labor as they have.  There is a very special joy in the soul that only Spring can bring.  Life! Life!  There are signs of life everywhere.  Even the harshest of winters cannot withhold Spring.  Today I will plant my little miracles keeping in mind an old saying:
One for blackbird,
one for the crow,
One for the cutworm,
and one to grow.

I have planted my salad garden in a never used grill.  It's domed cover will serve as protection against birds and provide a greenhouse effect when covered in plastic.  Have high hopes for this cleaver idea from my sister(Joyce). She is way ahead of me on her planting.  Darn her. Just because she was born first, doesn't mean she has to be first and best at everything. Different flower, same garden. 
Every year I have to add to my perennial collection.  Perennials are awesome! Plant one time, enjoy many years.  Cuts down on manual labor.  The one thing I had not counted on was all the little kitty help I would be getting.  Pushka cannot help herself!  She has five acres to play in, but no she wants the fresh turned soil in my planters.  Kittens.  You gotta love em!  I also see signs of life in my daylillies we planted several years ago:

Well, that's all I have time for today.  Got to go clean the Wickett's (lovebird) house.  Talk about a nasty attitude.  She  has  plenty  of  it and plenty to  spare.
 
And then there is my moral obligation to the hateful treadmill ( but I have promises to keep, and  miles to go before I sleep-Robert Frost you know). 

Before I go, I must leave you with one more thought for the day.  It is another way of saying "Living Simple" is beautiful.

Frugality is one of the most beautiful and joyful words in the English language, and yet one that we are culturally cut off from understanding and enjoying. 
The consumption society has made us feel that happiness lies in having things, and has failed to teach us the happiness of not having things. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...