Our New Blog

Our New Blog
...............Two Chicks On A Farm......Our New Blog

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A Little Kindness

 "Until one has loved an animal,  a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
Well, it's happened again!  A stray dog dumped three of her young puppies in our yard and left.  The pups and I waited all day for her to come back but she didn't.  So...........just before dark, I chased them down, one at a time, and moved them to the back half of our fenced in back yard.  There just happens to be an unused dog house and plenty of room for the little orphans to play. They were really hungry and thirsty.  As everyone knows, we have a passion for helpless animals.  Nothing melts my heart faster that a homeless ball of fur (all of our animals are adopted or strays).
Becky was as taken with the little darlings as I was.  We discussed second jobs and possible pay raises to care for three more mouths to feed (we already have six cats, three dogs, a lovebird and a fish) and the vet bills for shots, frontline, heartworm pills and other long term expenses (including a higher fence as they grow).  God just keeps blessing us!  He will provide a way.

Shifting gears now, the weather has been so cold lately that outside garden preparation has been tough.  We had a frost Sunday morning and the temperate was 29 degrees.  I don't know about you but welcoming Spring with the North wind freezing my tush off is not my idea of fun.  However, my indoor herb garden is making some headway despite my urge to give it a drink too often. I know, it looks a little weak.  Maybe some sunshine will help us both.
Thanks to Pushka (outside kitty), the day lilies I planted in a pot are not doing so well.  She dumped the plants out and is using the soil for a litter box.  Oh, well.  She is just a kitty and has her own way of doing things.  She and Gracie (other outside cat) weren't too thrilled with the new pups. I think the cats may be suffering from anxiety due to the arrival of the puppies.

Last night David and I discussed the necessity of yearly maintenance on my beloved lawn mower.  If I am good to it, it will be good to me.  So, the next time I go to town, I will need to buy oil, filters and new blades.  It will be a little expensive but a lot cheaper than buying a new mower (not in my budget for a while).
The time has come for me to see what adventure awaits me today.  The simple life is not necessarily a dull life.  And remember: a little kindness goes a long way for animals and humans.

Just a reminder:  Daylight savings time begins this weekend.  We Spring forward an hour. Does that mean I lose an hour of sleep?  Gee, thanks!

Each day, awakening, are we asked to paint the sky blue?
Need we coax the sun to rise or flowers to bloom?
Need we teach birds to sing, or children to laugh, or lovers to kiss?
No, though we think the world imperfect, it surrounds us each day with its perfections.
We are asked only to appreciate them, and to show appreciation by living in peaceful harmony amidst them.
The Creator does not ask that we create a perfect world; He asks that we celebrate it. 
Robert Brault, www.robertbrault.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...