Our New Blog

Our New Blog
...............Two Chicks On A Farm......Our New Blog

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Beehives and Donkey Pooh?

The Bible Says:
make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, 12 so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.
1 Thessalonians Chapter 4 Verse 11 & 12

Sometimes it seems that manual labor is a lost art. 
This is the day that I choose what to plant in my garden this year.  The possibilities are endless so I must curb my enthusiasm and be realistic. But what fun it would be to grow enough for Beck and I and still have enough to give away to the family and friends.

According to the Farmers Almanac these are my choices: 
February  14th-15th   Fine For Planting Beans, Tomatoes, Corn, Cotton, Cucumbers, Peppers, Melons And Other Above ground Crops. Plant Seedbeds And Flower Gardens.

 My dilemma:  Snow could still be on the ground.  We will have gone from below freezing temperatures to almost 70 degrees in less than a week.  More research is required or I can just ask someone.  But if I ask several people then I will get conflicting information because everyone has a different answer.  Shoot, shoot, shoot!  O.K. dummy, your planting in containers so this should not be a problem. Glad I thought that one through.   However, I will still be wearing rubber boots in the slush to plant a garden.  Anyone besides me thinks this is nuts?
Next on my list is buying a few tools to work with because mine look like this:
 

 Then there is the correct soil to plant my stuff in.  Wonder if I can use David's ( my big brother)  miniature donkey's pooh for fertilizer?   It's cheap (free) and plentiful.  I asked several friends (Charlie R. and Willis) who always have a bumper veggie crop and they said I could plant tomatoes in 100% donkey pooh and for other vegetables I could do a 25% soil and 75% donkey pooh mixture.  David will be glad to hear his pooh has a home but the bad news is: he will have to bring it to me.
O.K. There is suppose to be a photo here of David and his little donkeys but it didn't arrive.  So instead of donkeys here is a picture of what they produce that my garden needs:
                                           
 I don't know why I can't just stick a plant in the ground ,water it, talk to it and watch it grow.  Oh, yeah.  That's what I've done in the past and it doesn't work very well.  O.K. it doesn't work at all.  Maybe I was not saying the right things to my plants.  Is there proper conversation etiquette for talking to a plant?  Or would they prefer music?  Country? Jazz?  Classical?  So many decisions!
More good news for my garden!  The beehive in the tree in the front yard has survived the harsh winter and the bees are out today in full force. Again, growing my own self sustaining pollination system makes my little green heart happy. Bad news is: I'm highly allergic to bee stings.  However; in all the years we've lived here, I've never been stung by bees.  Wasp, yes.  Bees, no.  Wasp did not get the memo regarding do no harm.

To Summarize:  
  1. buy plants
  2. have David give me a load of crap (wouldn't be the first time)
  3. buy a few garden tools at Flea Market
  4. learn a chant or meditation so I can bond with bees
Raising a garden is an art so I must admit I am a novice, a rookie, a know nothing beginner but I shall not be defeated!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...