Our New Blog

Our New Blog
...............Two Chicks On A Farm......Our New Blog

Monday, February 7, 2011

The Gift of Good Friends

Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.

This weekend began with a whimper.  Saturday morning at 6:45 a.m. I called Dick (my boss) and said that I couldn't get my car out of the yard (we had a blizzard you know and I live way up in the pasture).  He reluctantly agreed to open the store.  A short time later, I received a call from one of my neighbors (he is also a regular customer at the store) asking if I need a ride to work. O.K. He's calling me on Dick's cell phone, so putting 2 and 2 together I quickly arrive at the conclusion that he is calling from the store.  What am I going to say "no thanks, I rather stay home snuggled up to the fire with my cat"?  The word was already out that I had made Beef Stew for lunch at the store so I'm wondering if it's me they want or my Beef Stew.  Anyway, two thoughtful neighbors pick me and my stew up and take us to work.   

It seems as though everyone has cabin fever and just want to get out.  After a busy morning shift of endless friends "sitting a spell and visiting" it's time to go home.  After my ride home gets through with his bowl of stew and cornbread I finally arrive back home (part of the deal was if you take me to work, you have to be here at 1:00 p.m. to take me home).  Beck had already started shoveling snow trying to get her car out to fuel up and get ready for work on Monday. Everywhere I look there is snow, snow, snow.  
Sunday morning I drive Beck's car to work.  To make up for yesterday, I go in early at 6:30 a.m.  It's still very dark and I don't see all that well.  After cooking breakfast, I find it odd there have been no customers.  When daylight finally arrives the missing customers are immediately explained.  The State has cleared the highway and all the snow is piled up across the entire front entrances to the store.  No one can get in.  Once Dick has been notified of the problem, I then call the State.  They say when the trucks come back around they will clear the entrances to the store.  They arrive as I am leaving the store a little after 1:00 p.m.  And then it started raining and raining and raining........    

Saturday there were so many people asking if I needed a ride home.  Everyone knew if I was there and my car wasn't parked next to the store, something was up.  Some people look for my car at the store just to stop in and say "hi". 
Dusty R. cleared the neighborhood and most driveways using his own equipment and fuel.  He didn't want to take credit for doing this but the word was out because he was seen (there are no secrets around here).  I am ever so grateful for his kindness and thoughtfulness.  Speck P. (Keefeton Volunteer Fire Department Chief) had also used his own equipment and fuel to clear my drive a second time (we were buried in snow and ice).  Speck does so very much for our community there are not enough words to express my gratitude. Why would anyone want to live anywhere else but the country?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...