Our New Blog

Our New Blog
...............Two Chicks On A Farm......Our New Blog

Thursday, June 16, 2011

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.*********** Elsa Schiaparelli

Things A True Southern Knows:
True Southerners know instinctively that the best gesture of solace for a neighbor who's got trouble is a plate of hot fried chicken and a big bowl of cold potato salad. (If the trouble is a real crisis, they also know to add a large banana puddin'.)

And a true Southerner knows you don't scream obscenities at little old ladies who drive 30 on the freeway - you just say, "Bless her heart" and go your way.

You should never loan your tools, pick-up, or gun to nobody


Good Morning from Harmony Acres!  I woke up this morning to the sound of rolling thunder.  Peeking out my window, the sight of lightning splitting the sky drove me from my bed to check the weather to see if we were in for a bad time or not (living in tornado alley makes me a little skittish).  Today, it was the not.  Pouring rain met me as I stepped out to the front porch.  Good news for the garden and other plants and trees.  Bad news for inside dogs needing to go outside to wee-wee.  Bad news for Becky having to drive to work in another rainstorm.
Maggie is conflicted:  Needs to wee-wee.  Scared of storms.
Oh, almost forgot to tell you this! Last night I made Spring Strawberry Dumplings from  Becky's blog.  Oh, my gosh ya'll!   I had never made this recipe before but I will certainly make it again.  Satisfied my sweet tooth.  I devoured it like it was the last taste of sugar on earth.  Becky keeps preaching moderation but I was totally out of control! 

Spring Strawberry dumplings!  Ain't that just the berries?
Now, ya'll know I'm from the south and we know how to cook and eat (I have to keep reminding myself that fat is not my friend).  I found this list of favorite southern recipes I would like to share with you.  My personal favorite is Fried Green Tomatoes (could eat 5lbs. by myself). I'm sure none of these are in the new healthy eating recipe and lifestyle book "Just Tell Me What To Eat, The Delicious 6-Week Weight Loss Plan for the Real World " (you can read Becky's book review at Becky Cooks Lightly Book Review).

1. Southern Style Cornbread    A typical Southern cornbread, which is almost an essential to serve alongside greens, black-eyed peas, pinto beans, and chili. Or, use all or part of this cornbread to make a great cornbread dressing for the holidays.

 

2. Fried Green Tomatoes   This is a classic no-frills cornmeal-coated version, and there are links to other battered fried green tomatoes below the recipe. Delicious!      Top Picks

 

3. Classic Macaroni and Cheese   This has to be everyone's favorite comfort food, served as a main dish or side dish.   Top Picks

 

4. Fresh Peach Cobbler   Definitely a major star on the Southern dessert table, this cobbler is made with fresh peaches and a buttery crust.   Top Picks

 

5. Fried Chicken With Cream Gravy  If your fried chicken isn't quite there yet, practice (or rehearsals) makes perfect. Here's an old-fashioned Southern fried chicken recipe with a milk gravy.   Top Picks

 

6. Old-Fashioned Bread Pudding   Bread pudding is such wonderful comfort food, with a caramel, vanilla, or whisky sauce. If bread pudding is on the menu at a restaurant, it's always my first choice.      Top Picks

 

7. Slow Cooker Pulled Pork   An easy slow-cooked version of tender pulled pork shoulder for sandwiches. Delicious served with a topping of coleslaw and baked beans on the side. Top Picks

 

8. Seven Layer Salad  This delicious salad, made with lettuce, had-cooked eggs, peas, bacon, cheese, mayonnaise, and other ingredients, almost always shows up at our family dinners.

 

9. Sandy's Chicken and Dumplings  One of the South's favorite one-dish meals, this is a favorite recipe from our forum.   Top Picks

 

10. Grandma's Meat Loaf   A classic homemade meatloaf recipe, made with oats, made with lean ground beef, chili sauce, oats, and other ingredients and seasonings.


Thank you for stopping by today.  Y'heah?: 
A redundant expression tacked onto the end of sentences by Southerners. "Y'all come back soon, y'heah?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...