Our New Blog

Our New Blog
...............Two Chicks On A Farm......Our New Blog

Sunday, June 12, 2011

While I Was Worrying About My Lungs, Nicotine Hijacked My Brain! That Ain't Right!

Nicotine patches are great.  Stick one over each eye and you can't find your cigarettes. 
~Author Unknown
Well, I've made my contribution for the week to the global economy by spending my earnings on fuel for cars (does anyone even like the big oil companies?) and tobacco for the money hungry, could care less if you get cancer (wouldn't tell us it causes cancer until they were outed  by secret memos & sued) companies that employ thousands of people.  Folks, I take full responsibility for my addiction.  I like to smoke (can't tell you why. it is a mystery to me).  I make no excuses or apologies.  It is what it is.
Out of over 4,000 chemicals that result from the chemical reactions of smoking of cigarettes,
about 400 of the 600 government-allowed ingredients are known to be toxic and 69 of these are carcinogens.

In my feeble attempts to stop smoking, I have tried patches, hypnosis and cold turkey (talk about the psycho in me coming out.  it was just plain scary.  scared myself. scared others).  I know addiction begins in the brain and the body follows.  I also know that there is nothing more annoying than those people who used to smoke trying to tell me what I ought to do.  Guys, I'm not stupid!  I'm an addict.  So, there.  I've said it.  Now leave me alone.  It is what it is.
Most of us became hooked while children or teens. What none of us knew prior to that first hit of nicotine was how extremely addictive smoking it was. Roughly 26% of us started losing control over continued smoking after just 3 to 4 cigarettes, rising to 44% after smoking 5 to 9.

What we didn't then know was that within ten seconds of that very first puff, that up to 50% of our brain's dopamine pathway acetylcholine receptors would become occupied by nicotine, or that prior to finishing that first cigarette that nicotine would saturate almost all of them.
Nicotinic receptor saturation
I am not impressed by the big tobacco companies trying to play nice now and help me (The Judas Kiss).  Treacherous, I tell you.  Treacherous!  Forced to do the right thing is not my idea of integrity and morality.  That also goes for the oil companies spilling toxins all over the planet;  hurting life giving water sources, plants, animals, humans and the local economy.  Ya'll, the truth will set you free.  You ought to try it sometimes.  O.K. I'm through now.  Well, maybe not!   If I've offended anyone,  kiss my grits!  It is what it is!
Tobacco is a dirty weed.  I like it.
It satisfies no normal need.  I like it.
It makes you thin, it makes you lean,
It takes the hair right off your bean
It's the worst darn stuff I've ever seen.
I like it.
~Graham Lee Hemminger, Tobacco

Doing the research for this article has helped me to see the light, again.  Perhaps it is time to reconsider my decision to smoke.  Don't think I'm doing it just because I'm scared, maybe I should quit smoking because........... 

I'm mad!  Every time I read an article about the duplicity and deception of the tobacco companies or watch the movie "The Insider" (based on a true story of a man--Jeffrey Wigand-- with integrity vs. parasite tobacco company making a lot of money off making people deathly ill), I get really, really mad!  The thought of them assisting me to become addicted without giving me the information I needed to make an informed decision and then making a gazzillon dollars off of people like me makes me absolutely livid (you don't want me to become livid because when I do, I write letters and file complaints).  How dare they?  Well, here's to trying to quit one more time!  Big Tobacco--kiss my grits!  It is what it is!

Research suggests that the average quitter experiences a maximum of 6 crave episodes per day on the third day of recovery, declining to about 1.4 per day by day ten. If each crave is less than 3 minutes and the average quitter experiences a maximum of 6 on their most challenging day, can you handle 18 minutes of challenge?
quit smoking crave chart

In the past, I have tried to stop smoking because I was backed into a corner (asthma, chronic bronchial infections and the huge increase in the cost of smoking).  The emotional approach, if you will.  This time I will use logic and scientific studies to improve my chances of quiting.  Knowing what is going on when I have a craving will help me to fight the enemy within.   It won't be pretty but I'm am willing to give it another try.  Wish me luck and pray for me to succeed and Becky to maintain her sanity while I'm trying.  It is what it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...