Our New Blog

Our New Blog
...............Two Chicks On A Farm......Our New Blog

Friday, June 10, 2011

"Meditation is the soul's perspective glass."......................... Owen Feltham

Meditation is like farming..... " the right soil is required to grow anything, nothing will grow if the soil is polluted by striving or pushing too hard".
Jon Kabt-Zinn

Good Morning Ya'll.  It is a wonderfully cool and cloudy day with a light refreshing breeze blowing.  A perfect time to take a stroll around the property.  I have known for many years the unmistakable link between mind and body.  If my mind is a wreck, my body follows the trend.  Therefore; the importance of a balance between the two is vital for quality of life.  Meditation is an inexpensive and proven method to achieve this balance.  One of the ways I soothe my soul is working in my vegetable and flower gardens.
First baby cucumber of the year.

The fruits of my labor!  Baby Tomatoes!
So, it comes as no surprise to me that a study at the University of Massachusetts found that  mindfulness therapy  can relieve the symptoms of Menopause (hot flashes, night sweats, sleeplessness and on and on and on).  This is a quote from the article concerning Hormone Replacement (this has never been something I used and here is why):
About 40 percent of menopausal women suffer from hot flashes and night sweats, which undermine their quality of life, the researchers noted. But since hormone replacement therapy has been linked with an increased risk of heart disease, breast cancer and stroke, Carmody observed that "not only are women looking for alternative treatments, it is an NIH (National Institutes of Health) priority to find behavioral treatments."

Sometimes a change of scenery is a treat so we drive the 10 miles into Muskogee to visit Honor Heights Park.  This is a lovely place with lots of walking paths, a duck pond (about a mile walk just around the duck pond (paddle boats for those not afraid of the water, me--I can't swim--sad I know) and a variety of plant life and trees.

Another article I found (Leave Stress Behind with Mindful Walking) gives some clues how to achieve this relaxing state of mind:
Here is a simple mindful walking exercise you can practice whenever you need it:
1. While walking, pay attention to your breathing. Use this focus on the breath as an anchor to stabilize your attention.
2. Next, allow yourself to notice any sights, sounds, or physical sensations that may come up as you walk. Rest your awareness for a moment on that sight, sound, or sensation, then return your awareness to your breathing.
3. If persistent thoughts distract you from your mindful awareness, simply notice them, then return your awareness to your breathing.

Meditation ain't hard ya'll.  Just take the trash out (mentally) and relax, enjoy and heal thyself.

I found this really funny you tube video while browsing and thought you might enjoy a musical tour of Muskogee.  I loved it.  Laughed til my sides hurt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...