Our New Blog

Our New Blog
...............Two Chicks On A Farm......Our New Blog

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Narcissistic, manicured, pedicured ladies need not apply!

"Manifest plainness,
Embrace simplicity,
Reduce selfishness,
Have few desires."
-  Lao-Tzu, Tao Te Ching 
Living in the country and loving it, isn't for everyone.  It takes a special kind of single woman to even attempt this lifestyle.  If you are afraid of chipping a nail, smashing your toe or spending all you time caring for critters, do yourself a favor and just stay in the city (unless you are rich enough to hire lots of help, but then you are not really a country girl). Having a rural address and country living are not the same thing. Narcissistic, manicured, pedicured ladies need not apply! 
Directions to our house: 
Turn right at yellow 5 gallon bucket;
 drive to the end of the road and then drive some more
till you see the dead peach tree and lots of critters.
 I have had my hands in more yucky stuff than I ever imaged even existed!  Donkey pooh, doggie pooh, well used cat litter boxes, poison ivy, poison oak, ant granules, snake granules, flea dip.......the list goes on and on. (one time Brother Dave had me help him pull a calf, up to my elbow in a cow's you know what).  And after all the rain we have had, with almost no proper drainage in Keefeton, OK.(our county commissioner must not know where we are: perhaps I should write him a letter and send him a map); the mosquitoes are the size of a small battleship. 

But if you can survive it, the payoff is huge! A tremendous sense of accomplishment and pride. Simple Living will give you a sense of satisfaction that you cannot find working in the city. 

Yada, yada, yada! Yeah, I know, I talk too much.  Anyway, here are some updates on what's happening at Harmony Acres. 
For the first time ever, my tomato plants look as though I might actually have a tomato crop.
The cucumber plants need to be thinned out but they are doing great.
One of the peach trees (even after I sprayed it) is at deaths door from too much rain and other mysterious things attacking it.

The other peach tree is doing great! Go figure! 
Since the storm blew over the willow tree
 and took out the meditation garden,
the plants are residing in a bucket
waiting for me to find a new home for them.
That's all for today folks.  I got plants to repot, a meditation garden to relocate, furniture to move in the house, yard to mow, critters   to feed and water........you get the idea. (Oh, by the way, my ankle is healing slowly but healing. Thank you for asking.) Very little time to meditate today(smoke cigarette and drink coffee on front porch with two cats wrapped around my ankles).  Ya'll have a good day and I'll talk to you later.

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Robert Frost

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...