Our New Blog

Our New Blog
...............Two Chicks On A Farm......Our New Blog

Friday, April 8, 2011

Bless My Bloomers!

Forever:  Time it takes to brew the first pot of coffee in the morning. 
              Author Unknown

A typical day starts here at Harmony Acres with Becky getting up at 5:30 a.m. to do a few chores and getting ready for work.  My day starts at 6:30 a.m. when I stagger to the bathroom (good thing it's small or I would be sitting in the floor) and then feel my way to the coffee pot.  Pouring a cup of coffee (half in the cup, half in the floor), I then grab a cigarette and stumble to the front porch to meditate.  This is best done with Pushka wrapped around one ankle and Gracie the other.
Bless my bloomers! Pushka left me a gift on the porch! The first thing I see this morning is a dead snake!
6:50 a.m.-Becky leaves for work and I feed the outside cats.  Then it's time to load up the lawn mower cart and feed Gypsy and her pups.  Then it's time to go to the house, make another pot of coffee and let Maggie outside.  Let Maggie inside.  Let the wieners outside, (they can't go at the same time as Mags because they play too rough) let the wieners inside.  Drink more coffee, smoke another cigarette and meditate on which project to work on today.

Today, I will work on the thicket on the northwest side of the house.  First, the greenhouse has to be moved and then I can begin this daunting task.  Just looking at the unruly mass of vines, scrub brush and Lord only knows what else (snakes?), gives me a spooky feeling.  Pulling out my brand new push mower that I purchased at TrueValue Hardware in Warner (and brought home in the car, really need a truck), I begin.
Two hours later, scrapped, scratched and bloodied, I surrender for the day.  The push mower and I are both going putt, putt, cough, cough.  I have easily donated a pint of blood to the wild rose bushes growing in the thicket and need to go to the house, remove thorns from my aching body and take a bath in alcohol.  Once I do this, I will be able to "shake it off" and continue on with my other chores after another cup of coffee and another cigarette and more meditation (watching puppies play) or perhaps in this case medication (my back you know).
The thicket holds a hidden delight!
Last weekend, Becky reclaimed this lovely view for us.  The trees she cut down (with a bow saw, she's afraid of knives so a chainsaw is out) were so big I had to drag them with a rope tied to the lawn mower.

"A small green frog
On a big brown log;
A black and yellow bee
In a little green tree;
A red and yellow snake
By a blue-green lake,
All sat and listened
To red bird sing,
"Wake up, everybody,
It's spring! It's spring!"


 
"Bless My Bloomers" and "that just dills my pickles" are just a few Funny Southern Expressions.  If you need a smile for the day, just click on the link.

Our day ends with loading the water tank on the cart and watering our new peach, plum and what ever that other tree is Becky planted (we're in a drought you know).  Then it's time to fasten up the pups for the night to help Gypsy keep them safe.  Finally, it's time to feed the inside dogs again and if there is time; have a bite to eat ourselves.  With all of our energy almost depleted, a nice bath is the perfect way to end a long day.  Simple Living provides lots of little moments of pleasure and lots of hard work.  It ain't easy being me.  Have a wonderful day and may God bless you in all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...