Our New Blog

Our New Blog
...............Two Chicks On A Farm......Our New Blog

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Four-Legged Terrors First Car Ride

Dogs feel very strongly that they should always go with you in the car, in case the need should arise for them to bark violently at nothing right in your ear.
Dave Barry

From dumped to adopted.  Indy has a new home!
Man, we've got to get a truck!  If you live in the country, a truck is a tool not a luxury!  I've come to this conclusion after a harrowing trip to Hubler Vet yesterday hauling the stray pups in a crate in the car.  Actually, two of them were in a crate and I held the little one.  The howling was ear-splitting, bone jarring intense.  I fear my ability to hear properly is forever diminished.  I always thought it was bad hauling the wieners in the car but they can't hold a candle to the mind boggling journey I made with the pups. 
Looking into Gypsy's eyes, one sees an old soul.
The four-legged terrors (blue heelers: a courageous and tireless worker, an intelligent and athletic companion and a loving and playful family pet.) were at their very worst.  Taking them in one at a time, they got their first puppy shots and were wormed.  So far, so good. 

Then it was time for dipping them to kill fleas and ticks.  Not so good.  The little one (Pickles-a beautiful 7 lb. baby) was no trouble.  Then it was time for Indy (10 lbs.) to be baptised.  Bad, bad, bad.  I heard Berta yell  _ _ _ _! Never a good sign.  Indy had come up biting, all teeth and mad as a hornet!  Next was Mischief (10 lbs.).  Again, snapping and mad.  Cujo deluxe (the movie, remember?). And then........total silence.!
As they huddled together in the crate, giving us mean looks, I was amazed at the attitude adjustment.  I wonder if a little dipping might work on some people I know?

Stacey and Berta were so impressed with the little fellows, Indy now has a wonderful new home with Stacey where he can learn to be a happy productive working dog (it's in their DNA you know).  Becky wants to make a lap dog out of Pickles; so he and Mischief (named him that for a reason) will stay here with their mom (Gypsy).  And to think, several of my neighbors wanted to just knock them in the head because they were strays.  No way would I allow that!  "Do No Harm".  Other peoples junk is my treasure!
Mischief gives Pickles a kiss.  Watch Out! 
It has long been a dream of ours to have a "no kill" animal shelter for all kinds of critters.  We've always said, "if we ever have enough money to care for them properly (food, shelter, vet bills, and toys aren't cheap), this is one thing we really want to do.  It seems we have unexpectedly got a jump start on our dream.  I sometimes have more compassion for animals than people.  Of course, animals love unconditionally without asking for anything in return except food and shelter. They know  you don't bite the hand that feeds you.  Can humans be so well trained? I think not.  I never want to end anything with a negative thought, so here's a positive one for you; and besides I got to go scoop poop.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...