Our New Blog

Our New Blog
...............Two Chicks On A Farm......Our New Blog

Monday, April 4, 2011

A Taxing Time.....

It's income tax time again, Americans:  time to gather up those receipts, get out those tax forms, sharpen up that pencil, and stab yourself in the aorta. 
Dave Barry

I know it's hard to believe, but I have shortcomings.  Being born under the sign of Virgo, I am a perfectionist.  An organizing fool.  However, here I sit, trying to sort receipts out of a wicker basket so I can file my income taxes.  Clearly, thinking ahead was not what I was doing as I pitched everything in no particular order in a basket.  The result is tax time chaos. 
Pushka Hiding From The Tax Man!
Told Him There Was A New "Cat Tax" This Year!











It is also time to think about where I am going this year with my blogging.  With the rising cost of gasoline (I paid $3.56 per gallon last night) and food, I want to contribute more income to our household. When I first began, it was just the joy of being able to put my thoughts "out there" (you may have noticed there are no advertisements). 

Recently, I have received encouragement to make it a business since I devote a lot of time to it. Can you do that?  Can you actually earn an income while having fun?  Is that even legal in the United States?  Almost every job I've ever had was boring and tedious.  Would there even be enough people "out there" who would care what my scary brain thinks?  I am just an ordinary person living a simple life trying to share my simple living philosophy.  I haven't published any books (yet) or made a huge impact on the collective consciousness of the planet.  So, how can I earn money with a blog?  Let's do some research! 

Darren Rowse (Problogger.net/has an impressive story to tell of his humble beginnings as a blogger.  It is a story every novice blogger needs to read for a reality check on expectations. No instant millionaire here.  Time, perseverance and  a loyal reader following are key.

Next, let's explore the advertising possibilities.  Please, hold that thought while I venture out into cyberspace.
O.K. This a not a business for the faint hearted!  There is so much geek speak out there I will need an interpreter.  Becky is a self-taught business blogger (Becky Cooks Lightly) so I will seek advise from my in-house geek.  In the meantime, I found a site that is helpful. 

Among bloggers who have advertising on their blogs, two in three have contextual ads (such as Google AdSense). One-third of bloggers have affiliate advertising on their blog. One in five negotiate directly with advertisers and one in ten sell advertising through a blog ad network.

How Bloggers Manage Advertising


Read more: Technorati: Blogging for Profit

In the future, if you see ads on my blog, you will know that I have taken the plunge into the unknown.  I will still say what I have to say and do what I want to do.  The content will be of my own choosing and timing.  I write because I love it not to become rich or famous (but I would look fabulous on some magazine cover).  My success will be in your hands (and Becky's). I thank you in advance for your support whatever decision I make!

Put your heart, mind, intellect and soul even to your smallest acts.  This is the secret of success. 
Swami Sivananda

Tax Time Makes Me Sad and Ugly!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...