Our New Blog

Our New Blog
...............Two Chicks On A Farm......Our New Blog

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A Healing Place

To find the universal elements enough; to find the air and the water exhilarating; to be refreshed by a morning walk or an evening saunter...
to be thrilled by the stars at night; to be elated over a bird's nest or a wildflower in spring - these are some of the rewards of the simple life
John Burroughs

The donkey pooh has nourished my garden plants as though they were on steroids!  They love it!  Move over Miracle Grow; here comes donkey pooh!  The first bag of pooh from Brother Dave was a freebie (he shoveled, he delivered).  The rest of them I have to shovel myself.

Can't wait to have fried green tomatoes!
Roma and Cherry Tomatoes for our salad.
It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato
Lewis Grizzard
Arkansas Travelers for canning.
I also planted cucumbers in the same fertilizer.  They will have to be moved to the back yard so they can grow up the fence.  With the late frost and weird Oklahoma weather, it's a bit tricky knowing when to plant.
Cucumbers seeds planted in pooh!
My lawn mower is still playing dead so I had to take drastic measures and try to repair it myself. So far, this ain't pretty.  This is the first time I have ever had a shed to store it and now it wants to give me grief.  Guess I should have left it out in the rain.  My dandelion crop is taking over the yard.  Gotta mow!
Lawn Mower Battery On Life Support.
Everywhere I look, there are signs of life!  It is amazing!  Plant life, tree life, animal life, insect life, and people life.  I love the simple life.  Small moments of absolute joy and delight. I love Harmony Acres! 

When life has inflicted sometimes near mortal wounds, this place we call home is a sanctuary.  It is a healing place for everything (human and animal).  The beauty here is of the wild kind.  No formal or manicured gardens here.  To work the land is like touching the face of God.  It is a place of peace, love and harmony.  A place that restores balance.  I hope each of you can find your "harmony acres" even if it is just one moment at a time. 

As you know, all the animals here are strays (except Maggie. She was a pound puppy). Each one is a cherished member of our household.  I don't believe a loving God makes trash!
Pushka would like to be the only child.  He is so needy!
Gracie just wants to be left alone. (Are you looking at me?)
Oh, by the way; my salad garden is doing great.  Can't wait to harvest the lettuce and have a salad grown by yours truly!
A mixture of greens just waiting to nourish my earthly temple.
The first gatherings of the garden in May of salads, radishes and herbs made me feel like a mother about her baby - how could anything so beautiful be mine. 
And this emotion of wonder filled me for each vegetable as it was gathered every year. 
There is nothing that is comparable to it, as satisfactory or as thrilling, as gathering the vegetables one has grown.Alice B. Toklas



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...