Our New Blog

Our New Blog
...............Two Chicks On A Farm......Our New Blog

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Hodge·podge/ˈhäjˌpäj....................Noun: A confused mixture.

In the spring I have counted one hundred and thirty-six different kinds of weather inside of four and twenty hours. 
Mark Twain
 To my delight and utter surprise, Brother Dave brought my riding lawn mower home around 5 p.m. yesterday evening.  He gave me a list of parts and supplies that he had purchased to restore my baby.  It wasn't pretty!  Blades, filters, belts, oil............The cost was much less than a new mower (around a hundred dollars) and the labor was free.  Free is good but it came with some "I can't believe you let it get this bad" looks that only big brothers can give.  Brother even washed the whole thing inside and out!  To understand the magnitude of his gift of free labor, you need to realize my only other option:  push mowing an acre and a half on a bum ankle!  To me, that is Huge!  Love you, Bubba.
A brother shares childhood memories and grown-up dreams. 
Author Unknown
I mowed some more before dark and then it was time for the nightly ritual of dogs out, dogs in, more dogs in, feed Maggie (dog who thinks she is a princess and has the crown to prove it) and doctor her ears, feed Izzie (cat), run to little store to get meditation supplies (cigarettes) and shower and finally bed with a good book.
Princess Maggie

Izzie at play.
Just a quick oops note:  Becky was looking for a banana this morning to pack in her lunch.  The dehydrated version was not what she had in mind (note to self: buy more bananas and don't dehydrate).  Daughters can give the same look of disgust as brothers!

The weather is forecasting severe storms later this evening (tornadoes?) so I need to finish mowing the yard today so I can put out granules to kill fleas and ticks.  I still believe in the "do no harm" rule, but if you have ever had a tick sucking the blood out of you in very private places, you will agree that it's O.K. to get them before they get me.  Nothing gets to suck my blood without my permission.  Besides, those nasty things carry Lyme Disease.  An ugly, debilitating illness (just ask nephew Jimmy).  If I am going to be that sick from being bitten by an insect, I want it to be while I am floating down the Amazon River, trudging through the rain forest looking for a cure for a deadly disease, living in the jungle with the Native population. Not walking in my front yard! Good Grief!
Deer Ticks carry Lyme Disease
Also, today, I planted another shrub from our Friday shopping spree.  Only have two left to plant before we can buy more.
Sun Parasol Crimson Mandevilla
Masses of Indian Paintbrushes grow in our pasture.

The flowers of Indian paintbrush are edible and sweet, and were consumed in moderation by various Native American tribes as a condiment with other fresh greens. These plants have a tendency to absorb and concentrate selenium in their tissues from the soils in which they grow, and can be potentially very toxic if the roots or green parts of the plant are consumed. Highly alkaline soils increase the selenium levels in the plants. Indian paintbrush has similar health benefits to consuming garlic if only the flowers are eaten in small amounts and in moderation.[3]
Well, my outside work is done for the day.  Now I will just work in the house and wait for the storms to arrive.  I have done everything possible to be ready but if one does hit we are simply at the mercy of Mother Nature and God. 
Our entire community was destroyed by a tornado long before we moved here.  There was destruction in every direction.  Weird things happen in a tornado. I saw it.  My neighbors not only lost loved ones but their own homes were destroyed  as well. 
I have spent more than one night huddled in the bathroom (the safest place in our home) riding out severe weather with Becky, dogs and lots of prayers.  Our barn and home received extensive damage during one of these storms.  I was sitting in the bathroom floor with my back against a wall that was moving.  So my paranoia is warranted. Scary stuff! It looks to be a long night. So let me end with a prayer for protection for all:
The light of God surrounds us,
The love of God enfolds us,
The power of God protects us,
The presence of God watches over us,
Wherever we are, God is,
And where God is, all is well.
Thank you for indulging me today.  The threat of severe storms makes me a confused mixture, can't focus (more than usual that is).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...